On 8/28/2011 12:14 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
In the osm data we have a choice: even if the name field is blank the
icon will render just fine. If tools can't deal with bus stops without
name then the tools need improvement.

The current tools are fine - having a name reference is an aid to the OSM mapper. Without a name, the bus stops are a bunch of anonymous dots. The way this import script creates names is a help to anyone trying to follow printed directions. Even if they don't know where to pull the "Stop cable", they can tell the driver they need to get off at the stop near "East Main Street @ Market Street".

Quite probably the osm mapper could provide data /to/ such operators, in
_reverse of the usual import pattern._ Osm --> gtfs would be an
interesting experiment.

I'm doing exactly this now. The local agency's data is so far out of date that it is useless, so I'm re-surveying it all. I am looking at Go-Sync to pull the stops out of OSM into GTFS. I will probably have to write something to extract the route paths from the bus route relations.

_______________________________________________
Imports mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports

Reply via email to