it would seem fairfax bus info is included in the wmata gtfs feed data and even 
if not id say use the same schema as i used with the 10,000 massachusettes bus 
stops if for no other reason than easier app development, and for the record 
the names arn't a problem anywhere but josm
Sent with Verizon Mobile Email


---Original Message---
From: "Josh Doe" <[email protected]>
Sent: 8/31/2011 12:06 am
To: "OSM Imports List" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Imports] Bus data for Fairfax Connector, Fairfax County, 
Virginia, USA

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Metcalf, Calvin (DOT)
<[email protected]> wrote:
> sorry lost power all yesterday and wasn't able to keep up, so the google 
> transit/next bus data that fairfax already puts out doesn't have real stop 
> names in the stops.txt file? if not what is there real time bus app that they 
> have on their site using to refer to stops?

FFX Co hasn't released a GTFS feed yet. I think the only travel
planners that use their data is WMATAs, and a quick check there shows
that it seems to use the "on_street @ at_street" convention. I asked
my FCDOT contact, and he says that the only "name" they have for the
stops is an alpha-numeric label, which belongs more in ref=* than
name=*.

After thinking about it a bit, I don't think I'll import the
information into name=*, but rather put it in description=*, unless I
get a better suggestion. Of course for those stops that truly do have
a name, we can add that. Otherwise, the "name" of "on_street @
at_street" is really just inferred from nearby data, which data
consumers (routers) can do themselves, especially easily and
accurately if public_transport=stop_area relations are used (though
closest intersecting ways should be fine 99% of the time).

Any other suggestions for this import+merge? If not, then I'll
manually merge the data sometime in the next week and post the results
for review before uploading. We have the FFX Co internal id in
ffx:stopid so we should be able to easily update fields in the future,
e.g. if they decide on official names for the stops.

Thanks,
-Josh

_______________________________________________
Imports mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports
_______________________________________________
Imports mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports

Reply via email to