Already posted on [imports-us] but apparently I forgot to include it in
here. Reposting:

Hi,

We're proposing a building import for Miami-Date County, FL. Data is in the
public domain [1]. The initiative was started off with a Maptime Miami
Meetup event in May by Matthew Toro [2]. There seem to be an interest from
the community. The dataset contains ~100k buildings (called large building
footprints) throughout the county with height information. Currently, there
are ~15k buildings in OSM for the same extent so it will be a huge
improvement. An Address dataset also exists in the public domain [3].

Local community is extremely small here compared to other places like NYC
or LA, so we are planning to import most of the buildings via a script. For
this, we are checking for potential conflicts. We are not going to upload
buildings

- overlapping with existing OSM buildings
- overlapping with highway/railway=*
- in the proximity of existing OSM addresses

We checked for 1-1 relations between the Buildings and Address datasets and
assigned addresses for buildings in the bulk process. We ended up having
~85k buildings in the automatic bucket which leaves ~10k buildings for
manual review.

Manual review by the community will be organized through Task Manager jobs
based on US Census Block Groups. We are hoping that this import task will
be the kick start of a growing OSM community in South Florida.

Matthew will be at SOTMUS in Seattle and will talk about this import [4].
The next MaptimeMIA meetup is scheduled on August 1 [5] where we can
provide an update on the current state to the local community, and
(hopefully) we can also start presenting the steps required for the manual
import process.

The Wiki page [6] and the technical documentation [7] are yet to be updated
but our workflow is ready for testing. We are planning to start the whole
process soon. More updates to come.

Please feel free to provide any feedback you might have. Hit us up with any
questions/comments or open an issue on GitHub [7].

Cheers,
Levente - github.com/jlevente
Adam - github.com/adamold
Matthew - github.com/MTORO003

[1] Large Buildings
dataset:http://gis.mdc.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/1e87b925717747c7b59979caa7779039_1
[2] MaptimeMIA Meetup 1: MaptimeMIA Meetup
1:http://www.meetup.com/Maptime-Miami/events/230493698/
[3] Address
dataset:http://gis.mdc.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/128dcc2c4cac403dbd1d7440e10fa583_0
[4] Miami Building Import at
SOTMUS:http://www.meetup.com/Maptime-Miami/events/232730098/
[5] MaptimeMIA Meetup 2: https://github.com/jlevente/MiamiOSM-buildings
[6] Miami-Date Building Import
Wiki:http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Miami-Dade_County_Large_Building_Import
[7] Codes and technical documentation of the
import:https://github.com/jlevente/MiamiOSM-buildings