Hi !

I'm interested in working on importing road attributes data for Fiji into
OpenStreetMaps from the Fijian Road Authority as an example of contribution
to OSM from official data in the Pacific Island Countries.

But before starting to see if it's possible to get the required agreement
from FRA, I'd like to know if it is reasonable on a technical level.

The road network currently is quite well mapped in OSM, but misses names
(except in main cities) and has some problems with network hierarchy.

Is there any existing script that would allow to merge names tags for roads
(e.g. by using HausdorffDistance and copying names if difference is under a
certain threshold) ? Naively I'd say this shouldn't be too hard to make,
that it doesn't risk of causing much trouble in existing data, and that it
would be a good improvement of the map's usability (e.g. search).

Do you think this would be a good idea ?

I though about geometries as well, but the task looks much more difficult
and OSM data is rather good in that regard in Fiji. So I'd say
benefit/hassle ratio is a bit too low. Still I'd be interested to know if
there are some precedents about importing road network onto existing OSM
data, and if there are some specific tools for that.

Kind regards,

Olivier