On 28 June 2016 at 16:02, Priyanka Nag <priy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not much involved with the Fedora community, so not even sure if I
> should comment on this thread..but since I have been involved in the
> planning of the FWD Pune event and am also a speaker for the FWD Kolkata
> event, I wanted to share my thoughts around this discussion as well.

Please don't hesitate to share your thoughts even if you're not sure
about them, that's how we move things forward.

> I understand that speaking on any topic just by reading it up on a wiki page
> is never enough and should be avoided. But here we have a small chicken and
> egg problem. Since we don't have too many female Fedora contributors at
> Pune, we can't find speakers who could talk on different ways one could
> contribute to Fedora and since we never talk on these contribution pathways
> and how to get started, we can't manage to find more contributors. So, the
> idea was to get a few enthusiastic participants, who were willing to find
> out about these different contribution pathways and how to get started and
> give a presentation to the rest of our audience.

I personally don't doubt the intent of any organizers and I know such
oversight is not uncommon especially due to the fragmented nature of
communities.  I also acknowledge the chicken and egg problem.  I only
disagree with the solution, which was to take the easy way out and go
with almost an all-Red Hat lineup without making an attempt to make a
call for participation in a wider and more relevant audience like
fedora-india, GLUG, PLUG, etc.  You could even invite speakers to talk
over a video chat, there are a number of ideas that you could come up
with along these lines before thinking of the compromise.

Also, it is not that we never talk about pathways to contribution, in
fact my personal beef is that "Contributing to Fedora" is almost all
we talk about all the time and I'd really like us to move forward from
that :)

> Other than this, whether this can be called a Fedora event or not...well, I
> don't think I am eligible to comment on that. Whereas I always love events
> to be community events and not individual or an organizational
> initiative...but I am not sure what is best here with respect to the Fedora
> community.

Contrary to what my response seems to indicate, I would really like
this to be a Fedora event.  For it to qualify to be a Fedora event
however, it needs to be much more transparent than it currently is.

Siddhesh
--
http://siddhesh.in