On Nov 13, 2008, at 6:51 PM, Michal Pryc wrote:

> Michal Pryc wrote:
>> Josh Simons wrote:
>>> Why is the Add button on the Manage Repositories pane is greyed out,
>>> implying I cannot add a new package source? Is this a permissions
>>> issue or something else?
>>
>> There two possibilities:
>>
>> - You didn't selected (check box in the list) any package that can be
>> installed/updated.
>>
>> - You are running packagemanager without sufficient permissions (run
>> with gksu or pfexec on opensolaris) the Package Manager icon is
>> starting
>> application correctly.
>
> Hi Josh,
> Reply to myself.
> The question was about Manage Repositories not Add/Update, so the
> possibilities are as follows:
>
> - You already have the same name for the repository
>
> - You didn't specify correct URL address
>
> - Your name for the repository contains incorrect values (spaces for
> example)
>
> best
> Michal Pryc

Michal,

My issue is one of usability from a UI design perspective. Since the Add
button was greyed out, I assumed the companion fields were not active.

It is counterintuitive to me that filling in the fields would then
cause the
Add button to un-grey. (And only if I specified a correctly formatted
response.)

I asked a professional UI expert outside of Sun if this type of UI
behavior
was appropriate and she agreed that it would be confusing to users.

Josh