Oscar del Rio wrote:
solarg wrote:
# perl -MSys::Syslog -e 'Sys::Syslog::syslog("daemon|debug", "this is a better test: %d", time);'

and syslog.conf:
*.err;kern.notice;auth.notice           /dev/sysmsg
*.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit        /var/adm/messages
*.alert;kern.err;daemon.err             operator
*.alert                                 root
*.emerg                                 *
mail.debug ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/syslog, @loghost)
ifdef(`LOGHOST', ,
user.err                                /dev/sysmsg
user.err                                /var/adm/messages
user.alert                              `root, operator'
user.emerg                              *
)
local6.debug                            /var/log/sipserver.log

/var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages aren't written!

you are writing to "daemon.debug" but your syslog.conf is not configured to log daemon.debug

daemon.debug<TABs>/var/log/syslog

FWIW I've noticed that many of the log messages which I deal with and which used to go to user.* now go to daemon.* Maybe this is simply the transition from dtlogin to gdm (which implies any logging from PAM during login), but it seems to go beyond that. I'm not sure that the default syslog.conf has evolved appropriately to accommodate this new use of facility in the default set of daemons (note the "ifdef('LOGHOST'... clause which used to catch login errors but no longer does).

-Bob