On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 4:56 AM, Nikola M. <minik...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  On 08/26/10 02:48 AM, Mike Gerdts wrote:
>> If there is objection to this proposal, I will be supportive those
>> wishing to keep it alive and will seek someone to take over my
>> moderation role.
> -1 I would like it to continue to exist.
> Even if non moderated it could be a point of interest at some moment in
> time, since we are not quite sure that Indiana is dead. Maybe at
> contrary things are just going on and it might be the wider thing than
> Opensolaris binary distribution itself.

As I tried to say before...

The result of project Indiana was the OpenSolaris distribution.  The
most likely entry point for someone wanting to discuss the fruits of
project Indiana is opensolaris-discuss.  Newcomers are not likely to
spend the time trying to figure out what project Indiana is and are
more likely to go to opensolaris-discuss.  I suspect that at such a
time as Solaris 11 Express is available, a new separate forum will
start up (outside of opensolaris.org) that is the best place to
discuss it.

> There wer several interesting Alanc posts in July and i am not sure what
> purpose will be of killing it.

Based on Oracle's letter to employees[1], I'd be surprised if you see
any more announcements from Oracle employees on indiana-discuss or
opensolaris-discuss.  They may continue to appear in strictly places
aimed at developers such as xwin-discuss[2] or pkg-discuss[3].  Alan's
announcements in July were also sent to xwin-discuss.

1. http://sstallion.blogspot.com/2010/08/opensolaris-is-dead.html
2. http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/xwin-discuss/
3. http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/pkg-discuss/

> If it is not maintained, all right then. Let it be unmaintained. If only
> technical job of deleting spam is the point, then I am sure that
> technical thing could be done by someone else etc.

Are you volunteering?  If so and there aren't strong objections to you
becoming a moderator from the community, you'll probably be able to
take on that role.

> Anyway, if you think there is some other reason to kill it beside spam
> etc, say so,
> I don't like to see it go away.

Frankly, I don't really care if mail from unsubscribed people goes to
/dev/null either.  Several months ago, there were legitimate messages
that I approved from time to time.  By the time this thread is done
(or maybe before if consensus isn't reached quickly) I'll no longer be
a moderator or a subscriber.  Since I had been helping out with this
list, I figured I would offer to put it to bed if the community
thought it was obsolete as well.  It would have been easier for me to
just remove myself as a moderator and pass the buck to the other two
moderators that are @oracle.com.  I think that such a proposal from
any...@oracle.com would be taken with a great deal of suspicion.

Just to be clear, the idea of this proposal was mine.  I had no
conversations with anyone @oracle.com that inspired me to initiate it.
 I did contact the other moderators ahead of time as a sanity check on
my intentions.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/