>From Kiran ji:
"Yes, I found Delleni indica quite common in Kaziranga National Park, Assam.
The huge yellowish-green fruits were being consumed by Parakeets and
Hoary-bellied squirrels. I was there 10 days ago and didn't see any flowers.

Cheers,
Kiran Srivastava
Mumbai
[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 7:58 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:

>
> Dillenia indica (called chalta in Bengali) are abundant in N.Bengal
> and Assam Forest, very much liked by the elephants. Once I saw W.B.
> Forest Dept. distributing the saplings free during the Vanomahotsab
> period (July?) . They have surely enough saplings in their nurseries.
>
> On Nov 7, 12:03 am, mangala borkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > hello, Some of these trees are at Lalbaug at Bangalore.
> > Borkar
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: Sanjeev Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: indiantreepix <[email protected]>
> > Sent: Thursday, 6 November, 2008 10:18:20 AM
> > Subject: [indiantreepix:5757] Where can I find this tree
> >
> > Dear All,
> > I am astonished by the activity on this group.  This is my first post
> here.
> >
> > I am from Hosur and I live close to the Denkanikotta forest area.  This
> forms the western stretches of eastern ghats.
> >
> > We will be starting a bio diversity survey in this area, which has a
> forest cover of around 1200 sq km, with various types of forests.
> >
> > Our DFO is a keen botanist and is trying to re-introduce native species
> which formed the diet of animals once upon a time.
> >
> > Recently he asked me to find out if we can get the Elephant apple tree
> (Dillenia Indica).  I would be much obliged if someone can help me procure
> some saplings or seeds or any propogative material.  We want to plant these
> trees as food for elephants.  The forests here are part of the Cauvery
> Elephant reserve.
> >
> > Meanwhile I would be interested if anyone has had any success in
> controlling Lantana.
> >
> > I will shortly post some pictures of trees to contribute to this
> wonderful group.
> > Warm regards
> > Sanjeev
> > Hosur
> > Tamilnadu
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 9:40 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I was once told by a plant scientist that he had success in
> > micropropagation of Shorea, but I did not find any published record.
> > May be the sapplings require some type mycorrizha or other microbes at
> > the early stage of develpment- this is a pure assumption
> >
> > On Nov 6, 8:42 pm, Barry Stock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > I am curious as to what makes Sal so difficult to propagate, besides
> > > the short seed viability. I had a seedling here, and tried to keep it
> > > alive, but it would not be happy no matter what I did. Soil chemistry?
> >
> > > Barry Stock
> > > Hollywood, Florida, USA
> >
> > > On Nov 6, 2008, at 1:01 AM, Anand Kumar Bhatt wrote:
> >
> > > > The efforts to propagate the stately shaal (shorea robusta) under
> > > > whose shade Sidddhartha or Gautam Buddha was born, have been a
> > > > miserable failure.- Hide quoted text -
> >
> > > - Show quoted text -
> >
> > --
> > Visitwww.freedomthrougheducation.organdwww.roundtableindia.org<http://visitwww.freedomthrougheducation.organdwww.roundtableindia.org/>
> >
> >       Get perfect Email ID for your Resume. Grab nowhttp://
> in.promos.yahoo.com/address- Hide quoted text -
> >
> > - Show quoted text -
>  >
>


-- 
With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"
Creating Awareness about Indian Flora & Fauna:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group
(Indiantreepix) http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"indiantreepix" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to