Thanks Barry & Rakesh for correct info and suggestions. I will inform the 
Agri-Horticultural Society to have the name plate corrected. 
 

--- On Sat, 14/2/09, Barry Stock <[email protected]> wrote:

From: Barry Stock <[email protected]>
Subject: [indiantreepix:8630] Re: Elephant Foot Tree.
To: "Rakesh Biswas" <[email protected]>
Cc: "Mahendra Prasad" <[email protected]>, "J.M. Garg" 
<[email protected]>, [email protected]
Date: Saturday, 14 February, 2009, 8:57 AM


Excellent idea.


Many times though, it is more simple than that. The tree is probably 80-100 
years old, based on the size of local specimens, and at some point a.) the 
original tag fell off and b.) the curator left/died. This is what happened at 
Flamingo Gardens with the Terminalia. Someone has a list of trees, and an 
arboretum without tags, and has to say, "well, which one is this?", and start 
making determinations.


Because the tag relates to a Burmese tree, it makes it all the more interesting 
and, at this time, difficult.




-bs



On Feb 13, 2009, at 9:55 PM, Rakesh Biswas wrote:


Fantastic discussion!
 
Is it possible that perhaps 200 years back seeds of this tree...brought to 
Burma by sailors from the west and...possibly had one or two saplings there 
(and for want of information renamed...understandable in those days of no 
internet) following which one of them was transported to Kolkata (present 
picture)? In all probability I feel it must have been renamed in Kolkata (by a 
suitably imaginative person).
 
Again I may be wrong.
 
It would be interesting if Mahendra Ji could take up this issue with the 
Alipore botanical authorities (perhaps over email to begin with...it is so much 
more easier to share all the information which otherwise would become a 
daunting task).
 
rakesh


On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Barry Stock <[email protected]> wrote:



I have gone back and look at the original photos again, and I am 99% certain 
that it is a Cavanillesia platanifolia. The buttressing by the base is also 
characteristic:


Your tree:
<Elephant+Foot+Tree+base,+Pentace+burmanica.JPG>




Cavanillesia growing in Puerto Rico:
<CavanellesiaUSDA.JPG>


Best Wishes,



Barry Stock
Hollywood, Florida, USA




On Feb 13, 2009, at 3:25 AM, Mahendra Prasad wrote:







Thanks for your lovely pix, both, of impressive trees. 
However, there is confusion about the latin name. The name on the tree says 
Pentace burmanica, fam Tiliaceae, native of Burma ( now Myanmar ).  I attach a 
pix of the name pasted on the tree whose images I posted. Would like your 
comments. 






      Get your own website and domain for just Rs.1,999/year.* Go to 
http://in.business.yahoo.com/
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"indiantreepix" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to