This is very interesting and informative.
This can be done in a very scientific way and infact it can be published 
too.
I have been saying this from time to time that the pollination studies on 
plants are lacking in India where as countries like China in past few years 
published so many new modes of pollinations. I published only one new mode 
of pollination so far (VERMICULIPHILY).
When I was in India, I was working on pollinator visitors of Guava as a 
time pass, and to my surprise there were more than 12 insects I could 
take pictures of. Guava is one of the cheap but nutritious fruits in India, 
can you imagine if there are no pollinators and then no guava in the market.
Some basic questions to look for answer would be, 1. what are the insect 
pollinator diversity of Guava? 2. does the pollinator visitation vary 
across the flowering period? 3. does the pollinator visitation vary across 
different years?
You will be surprised to know that in some countries a business of 
professional pollinators is coming up. They breed specific insects and help 
farmers pollinate their crops. And ofcourse, nothing comes for free.
Best regards and keep sharing.
Pankaj







On Friday, 19 April 2013 00:38:27 UTC+8, surajitkoley wrote:
>
> Sir,
>
> Found this small to medium tree on roadside. Flowers are small, sweetly 
> scented and a host of insects visit these flowers, some of them can be seen 
> in the attached images.
>
> I have been told that the fruits are small currant (or JAMUN) like and 
> edible, though not very tasty, a bit sour + caustic.
>
> Can this be *Erioglossum edule* Bl. (*Lepisanthes rubiginosa* (Roxb.) 
> Leenh.)?
>
> Photographs were recorded yesterday, in Hooghly.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Regards,
>
>

-- 

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"efloraofindia" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to