Thank you! It is definitely a Coccinia, the name did not come to me at that
point. It is either C. indica (Beng. Telakucha) or C. grandis (Beng. /H.
Kundri), perhaps the latter one. Beng. Makal Phal is a different plant- a
large climber, often reaches tree top, with brightly coloured much bigger
fruit-  that is -Trichosanthes palmata.

--
sibdas ghosh