Ashwini
just had a minute so came to this link

question:  can you share a couple of your ants' antics pictures here?

comment : i am often upset, amused and irritated by my iphone doing
silly auto-correction.

Love your observations

take care
usha di


On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 10:02 PM, Ashwini Bhatia <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Please read *I. scabrida* instead of I. seabird (auto corrected by my
> intelligent machine) in the first line.
>
> Thanks.
> Ashwini
>
> On 29 Jun 2016, at 21:57, Ashwini Bhatia <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> For some time I have been noticing ants walking over the I. seabird
> plants. This afternoon I sat and observed them. A large individual, perhaps
> a queen, was foraging with a smaller (worker?) ant and to me they appear to
> be the carpenter ants. They seem to be interested in red stipule like
> growths under the leaf stalks. Every few seconds they would visit another
> stipule and place their mandibles there and move on again. I took some
> photographs and researched the phenomenon at home. I found out that *I.
> scabrida* has stipule like nectaries which store glucose and other sugars
> which is what these ants were interested in.
>
> Is this commonly known about this *Impatiens* and the ants? What do the
> ants give the plant in return? Since they do not visit the flowers for
> nectar, they are not the pollen couriers. I have seen bumblebees visiting
> the flowers regularly and guess them to be the primary pollinators.
>
> Thanks.
> Ashwini
>
> <_MG_8469_29June2016.jpg>
> <_MG_9686_29June2016.jpg><_MG_9716_29June2016.jpg>
> <_MG_9726_29June2016.jpg>
>
>
>
> On 26 Aug 2015, at 08:57, Ashwini Bhatia <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> Thank you Ushadi. Mr Garg usually forwards me the messages that concern me
> as I do not subscribe to all mails, only digests.
>
> Regards,
> Ashwini
>
> On 25-Aug-2015, at 4:59 am, Ushadi Micromini <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> this message came thru indiatreepix, so i surmise its not a private massage
>
> but does not Ashwini in address line
> or eflora
> so forwarding it
> Thanks Wojciech., nice to know my plants official name
>
> usha di
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: 'Wojciech' via efloraofindia <[email protected]>
> Date: Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 12:04 AM
> Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:230315] Impatiens scabrida ABJUL01/24
> To: efloraofindia <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected], [email protected]
>
>
> For clarification: plants on pictures from Ushadi ji's garden are
> Impatiens balsamina.
> Garden varieties of this species could have flowers in different shades of
> rosa, red, white, violet.
> Wild form comes most probably from southern India and SE Asia, but as the
> species is cultivated not less than 4000 years, it is difficult now to show
> precise place.
> Capsules of I. balsamina are short and hairy.
> Shape of capsules is used to recognize broader groups of species.
> I. scabrida recently escaped from culture (?) in some European countries:
> Italy, Austria and Netherland.
> Best regards              Wojciech
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "efloraofindia" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [email protected].
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
>
>
> --
> Usha di
> ===========
>
>
>
>
>


-- 
Usha di
===========

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"efloraofindia" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to