Thanks, Chadwell ji.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: C CHADWELL
Date: 22 September 2016 at 20:11
Subject: Re: Fwd: SK102SEP16-1016:ID- 1
To: "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com>

Yes, is a Buckwheat.

There are 3 species recorded from Ladakh by Dickore & Klimes  including
*Fagopyrum kashmirianum* - this was described by Munshi but is
morphologically
close to *F.esculentum* and generally treated as the same species.

So this leaves a choice between *F.esculentum* and *F.tartaricum*, as has
been suggested.

*F.esculentum* is the common buckwheat cultivated along the Himalaya
especially in the higher
inner valleys above 1800m incl. Ladakh.

*F.tartaricum* is even hardier than *F.esculentum*  but thought to be of
poorer quality.  It may be grown
up to 4050m in Ladakh incl. Nubra.

'Flowers of the Himalaya' state that F.tartaricum differs from
*F.esculentum*  "in having less conspicuous
flower-clusters with smaller usually greenish flowers, nutlets with rough
faces and toothed wavy angles

*From the images, I am in agreement with Saroj that it is Fagopyrum
tartaricum*.

*There is a very good selection of images of F.esculentum on Wikipedia
Commons, see: *
*https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fagopyrum_esculentum
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fagopyrum_esculentum>*

Best Wishes,