Dear Dr Singh
Would be helpful to know the altitudinal range of locations in Gori Valley
where you found this Echinops?
I do not have any check-lists for Uttarakhand to help but 'Enumeration of the
Flowering Plants of Nepal' Vol III (1982)only lists 2 species: E.cornigerus and
E.niveus.  This publication gives a distribution for every species and
altitudinalrange in Nepal.
It is likely that your specimen is one of these species.  Does not match what I
understand to be E.cornigerus
E.cornigerus is recorded (in Nepal) from 2400-3300m; E.niveus from 1400-1700m
(only in W.Nepal).
Your images certainly look very different to the E.cornigerus I know from
Ladakh (accepting that the climatic conditionswould be much more arid and hot
during summer months than in the Gori Valley).
Yes, the foliage is markedly dissected but I am not familiar with this species
in the wild.  I draw your attention to a pressed specimen in the Kew herbarium
collected by Blinkworth almost 200 years ago (I think in what is now
Uttarakhand) with similar dissected foliage of E.niveus.   There is also a
specimen from what was Burma named as var. burmanicus which suggests varieties
have been recognised.
The line drawing of E.niveus in 'Flora Simlensis' shows dissected foliage with
linear lobes.
I also note that Stewart records E.niveus to 2700m and Eastwards to Garwhal.
Will the elevation you found this globe thistle helpprovide supporting
evidence, or not?

Best Wishes,

Chris Chadwell

81 Parlaunt Road