Yes, these images seem to match *Aster thomsonii* well.  Some Asters are
very difficult to name.

The Supplement to Flowers of the Himalaya has a photo but there is only a
description in the main FOH - they say forests & shrubberies @ 2100-3000m.

According to Collet this was common in woods at Shimla.

Stewart records it from N.Pakistan & Kashmir where it is common in Sind &
Lidder Valleys through to Kishtwar @ 2300-3350m, commenting that the leaves
are sessile or nearly so.

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 4:23:11 AM UTC+1, ashwini wrote:

> After finding a couple of plants at 2450m I was hoping to find more higher
> up but to my surprise I didn't encounter a single flowering plant. Either
> these ones are early and the others will flower sometime soon, or there is
> only a small localised population. Please validate.
> I assume the violet-blue flower heads fade into white with age.
> *Aster thomsonii*
> Mcleodganj-Triund, HP
> 2450m approx.
> 10-11 September 2016