Dear Saroj
Thanks for providing the link below which provides an up-to-date checklist of 
Nepal flora fromthe 'Annotated Checklist of the Flowering Plants of Nepal'.
However, the Enumeration of the Flowering Plants of Nepal though almost 50 
years out-of-date,provides useful information on approx. where in Nepal each 
species known at that time had been recorded fromand altitudinal range.
Checklists have their limitations especially if cultivated plants are included. 
 Concentrating as I do, on plantsfrom higher elevations, it is helpful when 
considering possibilities as to species within a genus, to eliminatethose from 
lower altitudes.
In the 1990s I worked briefly as a consultant to 'The Royal Government of 
Bhutan' on 'The Cultivation of MedicinalPlants for Traditional Medicine 
Project'.  I was designated as a 'High Altitude Agronomist' (still not entirely 
sure whatthis means but I was the nearest thing that could be found) - there 
was also a 'Low Altitude Agronomist'!
Part of the reason as to my preference for 'higher' altitudes is that I do not 
function well in hot temperatures much preferring the cool air of mountains. I 
positively like rain.  Much like the 'Britishers' a century or two ago who 
repaired to their hill stations...... 

Best Wishes,

Chris Chadwell

81 Parlaunt Road 
SLOUGH
SL3 8BE
UK

www.shpa.org.uk





      From: Saroj Kasaju <[email protected]>
 To: J.M. Garg <[email protected]> 
Cc: C CHADWELL <[email protected]>; efloraofindia 
<[email protected]>
 Sent: Friday, 4 November 2016, 14:55
 Subject: Re: Viola odorata L. ??
   
Dear all,
Actually, it is from my old collection and I was very raw in photography at 
that time .Hence, all my pictures till 2014 is incomplete.
This pic from wild not cultivated.
By the way it is listed in Nepal as per the link below:
Thank you.
Saroj Kasaju
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=110&taxon_id=134607



On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 10:08 AM, J.M. Garg <[email protected]> wrote:

Yes, very difficult to correctly I'd them even with full details.
On 4 Nov 2016 4:23 am, "chrischadwell261@btinternet. com" 
<chrischadwell261@btinternet. com> wrote:

You did not say if you thought this was being cultivated in the botanical 
garden?
This species has not been recorded from Nepal but the 'Enumeration of the 
Flowering Plants of Nepal' focussed on wild species.  
14 Violas have been recorded for Nepal.  Viola odorata was planted in gardens 
in the Punjab and in Hill Stations in the foothills of the NW Himalaya and 
apparently naturalised in parts of Hazara, Pakistan.  Whether it is suited to 
Godawari's climate, I do not know.  The 'Sweet Violet' (you did not mention any 
scent) is found in the UK, Europe, Asia Minor, Caucasus, Syria, N.Africa, 
Macronesia - even what was Palestine.  
Violas are not always easy to identify, so close-ups of the floral parts both 
corollas and sepals (incl. appendages) plus views of the foliage are important.
I am not familiar enough with the genus to comment on the likelihood of the 
plant belonging to V.odorata based upon just one general image.  Perhaps others 
are?

On Tuesday, November 1, 2016 at 5:34:20 PM UTC, Saroj Kumar Kasaju wrote:
Dear Members,
Sharing some pictures In guess is 
| Viola odorata L.
shot at Godawari Botanical Garden, Nepal 
on 8 March, 2013 at 5000 ft.

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju |







   

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"efloraofindia" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to