Carex is a large and difficult genus. I photographed 3 Carex in my own village in the UK this year and have only, so far, been able to name one of them. There is a guide to Carex published by the BSBI which I had a copy of at one time but was damaged and discarded; I do not currently have the budget to by an up-dated version. Without it I will struggle (with help) to name the other two.
In the UK we are blessed with The Botanical Society of the British Isles (BSBI) which has a Panel of Referees and Specialists available to have material sent to them to identify. There are a number of specialists available to accept specimens (either pressed and dried or in some cases fresh) with certain ones with particular expertise in particular groups or aggregates. *In all cases mature fruits and underground parts should be sent.* I doubt if many of them would be able or willing to attempt to name specimens on the basis of photos alone particular those not of greater close-ups or mature fruits than shown in these images. Stewart's 'Annotated Catalogue of the Vascular Plants of Pakistan & Kashmir' does not extend to Chakrata, so the sedge photographed might be a species not known from Kashmir. A challenge. Are there any Carex specialists available? On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 2:29:22 PM UTC+1, Nidhan Singh wrote: > > Dear All, > > This species of Carex (if I am not wrong upto this level) was shot from > Chakrata area..id please.. > > -- > Regards, > > Dr. Nidhan Singh > Assistant Professor > Department of Botany > I.B. (PG) College > Panipat-132103 Haryana > Ph.: 09416371227 > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send an email to [email protected]. Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

