yes, Ashutosh,   its often difficult , very difficult
also according to Cornell univ blog on fungi by Dr. Kathie T. Hodge
<k...@cornell.edu>

Editor and Blogificator, Associate Professor of Mycology, Department of
Plant Pathology, Cornell univ.

i quote  " *It’s very hard to identify mushrooms from photographs alone"*
end quote
i totally agree with Dr Hodges.

but in this case, i had an extra help from my esoteric classes i have taken
in the past long forgotten.
there are many ink cap mushrooms (both in genus *Coprinus*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprinus> and genus *Coprinopsis*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Coprinopsis_species> )
but in cases like this here,  you never know where the nomenclature info
pops out  from sometimes
it was not science on my part but a weird quirky memory bubble that came up
from somewhere that got the AHA!
forty two  or more years ago i had for a few weekends tried making homemade
inks
dont ask me why?  one was ink from this mushroom....
this mushroom was mentioned and our teacher showed photos and deep blue
black sticky glop in a jar
told us to go find it in the wet spots in the woods
but  i did not find it where i lived
but those  pictures stuck in my memory bank somewhere
its enzyme chitinase in the mushroom that forms as the spores develop
and then chitinase  digests the mushroom
into that deep dark sticky glop
that can be turned into ink to write with

chitin is found in the body armor of cockroaches of all things and shell
fish shells etc .
we had also  toyed with the idea that we can spray this glop on
cockroaches!!!

human mind and its labyrinths are a wonder to me
all this rushed out when i saw that pictures 3 and 5 above...

weird , and wonderful
isn't it?
be well
usha di

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 10:42 AM ashutoshsharma11sn <
ashutoshsharma1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ushadi it's definitely Coprinus comatus.
>
> Earlier I missed 3rd and 5th image with open matured black fruiting body
> which confirms it as Coprinus comatus as such opened black mature fruiting
> body doesn't occur in Podaxis sp.
>
> Yound Fruiting bodies of Podaxis sp. have the appearance of an unopened
> Coprinus comatus,that's why I am confused.
>
> Here's a link mentioning the similarity
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podaxis
>
> Best regards
> Ashutosh Sharma