*Jarvis, C. (2007). Order out of Chaos:*

*Capparis baducca *Linnaeus, *Species Plantarum *1: 504. 1753.

"Habitat in India."

Lectotype (Jacobs in *Blumea *12: 435. 1965): [icon] *"Badukka" *in Rheede,
Hort. Malab. 6: 105. t. 57. 1686.
*Note: *As discussed by Prado (in *Taxon *42: 655-660. 1993), uncertainty
about the typification of this name (which included both New and Old World
elements) has caused some difficulty. In 1965, Jacobs treated the cited
Rheede plate (from India) as the type but Prado rejected this choice, based
on conflict with Linnaeus' diagnosis, in favour of a Clifford collection
(BM) of the New World species otherwise known as C. *frondosa *Jacq.
However, as discussed by Rankin & Greuter (in *Willdenowia *34: 261. 2004),
there are no grounds for rejecting Jacobs' typification (as a cited
illustration, Rheede's plate is part of the protologue), and *C*. *baducca *is
the correct, if now ambiguous, name for the Indian species. Rankin &
Greuter suggest that it may be desirable for it now to be proposed for
rejection, allowing *C*. *rheedei *DC. to replace it.

*Shenzhen Code (2018), Appendix V:*
Proposals and Disposals
<< Return to search page
<https://naturalhistory2.si.edu/botany/codes-proposals/index.cfm>