*Saxifraga poluninana* H. Sm. is not included in the listing !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju


On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 10:01 AM J.M. Garg <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks,  Chadwell ji,  for additional inputs.
>
> On 8 Mar 2017 8:07 p.m., "[email protected]" <
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I am pleased to have another person contributing about identification of
>> Himalayan plants but do not have sufficient
>> knowledge of the Saxifraga genus in Nepal to confirm Tim's name.  It may
>> well be correct, just that I am not in a position to agree or not.  Always
>> best to express a degree of caution when one is uncertain, as far as plant
>> identification is concerned - which applies to me in this case.
>>
>> I am not a Saxifraga specialist but have started to taking an interest in
>> the species of this genus found in the NW Himalaya (by this I primarily
>> mean those recorded from Kashmir & Himachal Pradesh).   The only 'Kabschia'
>> (those with lime-encrusted leaves) species known from the NW of the
>> Himalaya is S.pulvinaria - according to the records I currently have.
>>
>> My understanding is that what was known as the 'Kabschia' Saxifrages
>> present challenges identification-wise.  I was sent, some 20 years ago,
>> some notes of Saxifrages observed at high-altitudes in the Mustang district
>> of Nepal, including hybrids.  I shall look these out and summarise the
>> findings at some point - as they will help improve our understanding.
>>
>> According to 'Flowers of the Himalaya', Saxifraga andersonii is common in
>> the drier areas of W.Nepal, recorded from W.Nepal to SE Tibet on stony
>> slopes & amongst rocks @ 3600-5200m.  This is what I assumed I saw below
>> the Dhaulagiri ice-falls during my first visit to Nepal in 1990.   *But
>> one needs to recognise that 'Flowers of the Himalaya' only covers a
>> fraction of the total flora of the Himalaya with space permitting only very
>> brief, summarised descriptions, which are of limited value.*
>>
>> 'Flowers of the Himalaya' describes S.poluninana* as rather lax,
>> mat-forming with solitary short-stalked white flowers often pink-flushed in
>> the sun, on rocks in W & C. Nepal @ 3300-3500. Its inclusion by Polunin &
>> Stainton implies it should be quite common at such elevations in these
>> habitats in Central & W.Nepal. Thus the record from Dhumba Lake is
>> significantly lower than previously known. *Presumably this was named in
>> honour of Oleg Polunin, co-author of 'Flowers of the Himalaya'.  The TYPE
>> specimen was collected during the 1952 Polunin, Sykes & Williams Expedition
>> to Nepal.
>>
>> I certainly feel 'Kabschias' (in addition to S.pulvinaria) should be
>> looked out for in Uttarakhand.  Perhaps some have already been recorded
>> there in recent decades?
>>
>> I shall be posting a couple of images of what was labelled as Saxifraga
>> poluniniana at a specialist horticultural society show in the UK some 30
>> years ago - whether it really was this species, is quite another matter.
>> Many crosses have been made amongst 'Kabschia' Saxifrages, making it very
>> difficult to differentiate between them in cultivation.
>>
>> As for the suggestion of S.hypostoma, according to 'Enumeration of the
>> Flowering Plants of Nepal' this had only been recorded between 4300-5200m
>> (West & Central Nepal).  Perhaps more recent records exist beyond this
>> altitudinal range.
>>
>>
>>
>> On Monday, August 1, 2016 at 7:48:20 PM UTC+1, Saroj Kumar Kasaju wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Mr. Garg,
>>>
>>> Enclosing some pictures for ID verification please.
>>>
>>> Pictures were shot at Dhumba Lake Jomsom Nepal at 8900 ft on 22 April
>>> 2013
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Saroj Kasaju
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"efloraofindia" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web, visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CAEf%3DytRE3WEnOEY8d%3D247ssFsqT9pxMVWB%2BoLZ5Fn1ttof2uWA%40mail.gmail.com.

Reply via email to