J. M. Garg

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Janarthanam Malapati mkj...@yahoo.com [India_angiosperm_taxonomy] <
india_angiosperm_taxon...@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul, 2020, 11:25 pm
Subject: Re: [India_angiosperm_taxonomy] Condolence message
To: <india_angiosperm_taxon...@yahoogroups.com>

Sir,
You expressed it so well about Dr P Lakshminarasimhan. I wish to share few
things:

*It was in the first week of 1985 I visited BSI Pune for consultation of
herbarium and collection of **Utricularia **specimens in Northern Western
Ghats. Dr Karthikeyan sir introduced me to another Research Scholar who was
working on Nasik district flora for his PhD. In between almost 35 years
have gone. Dr Narasimhan (that’s how BSI people call him) has not changed a
bit, either in his focus, humility or attitude. He has been the same, but
for producing excellent works in Taxonomy, training dedicated students, and
arranging workshops in the area of nomenclature. Hundreds of youngsters
have benefitted from these workshops. Occasional SMS, mail or WhatsApp I
used to receive from him. It will be either related to our welfare or
related to the subject.  I had so many interactions with him and his
students. They are all still fresh in my memory!*

*In 1985, he took me to his house and around Pune. He was always there with
me whenever I visited Pune. Even a couple of years ago, when he organized a
workshop, I visited his place. The most memorable was when we were
returning from Kalyani University after IAAT meeting. Happened to be my
Birthday. That dinner was at his home in Kolkata. I still remember the
hospitality extended by him and his family. Ms Sweta (his daughter) was
still in school.*

I always believed that his best was yet to come. Whatever he published, he
did amidst all the administrative duties and pressures. I thought he would
come out with much more! Maybe he left it for others. Hope the Almighty
gives all the strength to his family to come out of this untimely loss and
grief.

As I see, everyone is missing him and will continue to miss him. We all
love him for what he was, a beautiful soul.

Om Shanthi!

M K Janarthanam

On Wednesday, 15 July, 2020, 01:25:44 pm IST, 'Dr D.K. Singh'
singh_d...@rediffmail.com [India_angiosperm_taxonomy] <
india_angiosperm_taxon...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Dear all,

This is to inform with profound grief about the sad and sudden demise of Dr
P. Lakshminarasimhan,
former Joint Director (Scientist E), of BSI, Western Regional Center, Pune.
It appears he briefly
suffered with high fever and breathing problem, but could not get a
ventilator in any hospital in Pune
and breathed his last at around 02.30 hrs. this morning.

Dr Lakshminarasimhan joined the Botanical Survey of India at its Andaman
Nicobar Regional Center,
Port Blair in early 1990s as Scientist B. Later he served at BSI, Pune,
Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew
(as Indian Botanical Liaison Officer), Central National Herbarium, Howrah
and Western Regional Center,
Pune in different capacities and finally retired on superannuation as
Scientist E on 31st August, 2019
after a very very distinguished carrier. He was a very critical researcher
and a very good plant
taxonomist. Helpful attitude, sincerity, dynamism at the place of work,
ability to take quick decisions
and humility was the hallmark of his persona. As Indian Botanical Liaison
Officer at RBG, Kew, he
helped the taxonomists not only within and out side BSI in India but also
those in other parts of the
Indian subcontinent. He helped and endeared hundreds of young and
practicing plant taxonomists through
a series of nomenclature workshops that he so meticulously convened in
different parts of the country,
the last one being as recent as January this year at Shillong. In his death
the BSI and entire
taxonomist fraternity of the country has lost a good taxonomist, a
dependable colleague, an able
administrator and a fine human being.

At this hour of grief I convey my heartfelt condolences to the bereaved
family and pray the God to
grant sadgati to the departed soul.

D.K. Singh

Dr D.K. Singh
Formerly Scientist G, Botanical Survey of India
Flat No. 305, Block D, Saraswati Apartment
River View Enclave, Sector 4
Gomti Nagar Extension
Lucknow - 226 - 010 (INDIA)
Mobile : +91 7080480720
E-mail: singh_d...@rediffmail.com;
dksingh1...@gmail.com
__._,_.___
------------------------------
Posted by: Janarthanam Malapati <mkj...@yahoo.com>
------------------------------
• Reply to sender
<mkj...@yahoo.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5BIndia_angiosperm_taxonomy%5D%20Condolence%20message>
• Reply to group
<india_angiosperm_taxon...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5BIndia_angiosperm_taxonomy%5D%20Condolence%20message>
• Start a New Topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/India_angiosperm_taxonomy/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaG9rczhpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM4NjQ4NTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NjMyNjcwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTU5NDgzNTY5OA-->
• Messages in this topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/India_angiosperm_taxonomy/conversations/topics/2755;_ylc=X3oDMTM0Z3Blajc1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM4NjQ4NTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NjMyNjcwBG1zZ0lkAzI3NTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxNTk0ODM1Njk4BHRwY0lkAzI3NTU->
(2)
Visit Your Group
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/India_angiosperm_taxonomy/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbmc1aWlnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM4NjQ4NTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NjMyNjcwBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTU5NDgzNTY5OA-->

[image: Yahoo! Groups]