I think this is very common above 2000m in Uttarakhand, but didnt know
that it was used as spice. We use Trachyspermum copticum, as ajwain.

Wikipedia says: It is a source of oil of Serpolet by distillation, and
is used as an aphrodisiac in herbal medicine. It is also used against
coughing.

Regards
Pankaj