Thats a nice information mam. I assume we should keep lichens among spices.

I have seen people selling Lichens at very high rates in Delhi market
as spices, and these plants are being extracted on a very large scale
from temperate regions in Himalaya (I am just talking about Indian
Lichen market).

Just to add, lichens are one of the preferred food of Musk Deer in Himalayas.

Pankaj

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Na Bha <nabha-megh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Iceland Moss Cetraria islandica is not a moss, but lichen, a symbiotic
> association between algae and fungus.
> is a circumpolar plant abundant throughout the arctic and mountains regions
> of the northern countries. It is found on the mountains of north Wales,
> north England, Scotland and south-west Ireland. In North America its range
> extends through Arctic regions, from Alaska to Newfoundland, and south in
> the Rocky Mountains to Colorado, and to the Appalachian Mountains of New
> England.
>
> lant Parts Used: The whole plant. The lichen may be gathered throughout the
> year; during the dry weather between May and September is best. It can be
> dried for later use by removing loose debris and drying it in direct sun or
> shade. Cetraria islandica is available as a dried whole plant, and as
> powdered herb extract.
>
> I don't have my own fotos,  because when I visited Iceland digital cameras
> were not yet there. I have some slides, but it take quite some time till I
> have digitalized all slides.
> But dishes of Icelan moss (soup, dessert etc. ) are very tasty, and the moss
> has a flavour like cardamom.
> Here http://www.herbal-supplement-resource.com/iceland-moss.html    you can
> find more Information and one Pic.
> Regards