Dear Shubhada
To start with
every organism has fixed number of chromosomes in each cell of the body, which 
in deploid organisms we call 2n (two sets of ) chromosomes. During sexual 
reproduction when gametes are formed the two sets seperate , thus the gametes 
have only one set of chromosomes, n. When the two gametes fuse (like pollen 
grain and ovule , or sperm with ovum) we again get a deploid cell (n+n=2n) 
called zygote. This after repeated cell division and organ formation form the 
individual. plant or animal. That is how we get half chromosomes from father 
and half from mother.
Every new cell formed here after cell division is deploid. And then we say race 
continues.
During the cell division every chromosome is attached to a spindle by a fibre 
called spindle fibre. This pulls the chromosome to pole when the chromosomes 
are in dividing state. 
If the chromosome fails to attach to the fibre it fails to get incarporated in 
new cells formed, either gamete or normal body cell. thus cells produced are 
abnormal because they miss one or more chromosomes.
Sometimes the chromosomes in deviding state fail to detach from one another and 
the whole lot go to one cell while the other cell gets nothing. the one which 
gets nothing perishes, while the one get both sets is now abnormal gamete 
having 2n number of chromosomes instead of n. When this gamete fuses with other 
gamete of n type the zygote gets 3n which is called as polyploid.
this can happen in the body cells also. like in plants when the cells are 
dividing during growth the chromosomes duplicate in each cell and seperate into 
half. so each cell gets 2n. But sometimes if the duplicated chromosomes are not 
seperated, -abnormal- then the resulting cell gets 4n because chromosomes are 
already duplicated. such cell when form further cells they all will have 4n 
chromosomes. polyploid cell from where new shoot formed will be polyploid.
many a times it may result into triploi--3n, tetraploid--4n, pentaploid--5n, 
hexaploid--6n, hectaploid7n, octaploid 8n ect.
polyploi result into gigantism that is big flowers, leaves etc.
when this occurs naturaly it  is seen as what is seen in your Lily flowers.
This phenomenon is called as chromosome abberation
pl search googal for elustrations.
Dear Botanists and Zoologists pl forgive me for the use of crude language and 
avoiding the bumbarding words.
thank you
Madhuri 
--- On Sat, 11/6/11, shubhada nikharge <[email protected]> wrote:


From: shubhada nikharge <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:71359] The flower of Crinum latifolium with 12 
petals,12 stamens & 2 stigmas
To: [email protected]
Date: Saturday, 11 June, 2011, 9:16 AM






Madhuriji,
thanks very much. pl. explain me in detail. i am not a botany student.
Cheers,
Shubhada
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shubhada_nikharge/sets/
http://www.saveranibagh.org
"I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do 
the something I can do."



--- On Fri, 10/6/11, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:


From: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:71359] The flower of Crinum latifolium with 12 
petals,12 stamens & 2 stigmas
To: "shubhada nikharge" <[email protected]>, "Efloraindia" 
<[email protected]>
Date: Friday, 10 June, 2011, 10:17 AM


Might be a case of natural polyploidy. Where the chromosomes while division of 
cells occur donot seperate. Leading to teraploidy and gigantism. If details 
required may have to write separate mail.
Madhuri
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel


From: shubhada nikharge <[email protected]> 
Sender: [email protected] 
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 00:05:44 +0530 (IST)
To: indian tree pix<[email protected]>
Subject: [efloraofindia:71359] The flower of Crinum latifolium with 12 petals, 
12 stamens & 2 stigmas
















Hi all,
The crinum lilies have bloomed after the 1st shower on 2nd June 2011. I have 
been observing the plot at CEC, on BNHS land at Goregaon(East), Mumbai for last 
4 years where at least 20 -25 plants of Crinum latifolium sprout. The flower of 
C. latifolium has 6 petals, 6 stamens, and 1 stigma.
I saw a very unusual flower of Crinum lily today which had 12 petals, 12 
stamens and 2 stigmas. I had never seen such flower in last 4 years. so wanted 
to share with the pics.

Cheers,
Shubhada
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shubhada_nikharge/sets/
http://www.saveranibagh.org
"I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do 
the something I can do."

Reply via email to