Hello Neil,
Neither am I , I look up several classical texts and books...

 No problem. matter of fact ever since I started studying Ayurvedic medicine
/ herbs and learning binomial names and the reconciling them with the
traditional and vernacular Indian names has been difficult... if not
mind-boggling... often  there is a lot of duplication with opposite meaning
sometimes...   to confuse the issue ... Kalidas named something different
from the person who wrote Kadambari...or Ramayana and those concerned with
Mahabharata  and those who wrote Shushrut and Charak texts originally all
those thousands of years ago...

AND then multiply it with the tribal names... when you begin to study some
ethnobotany....

Phew!!!  That's why a spread sheet with binomial and vernacular names gets
soooooo  unweildy...

Usha di