From: sid <sikd...@gmail.com>
Date: 18 April 2011 14:59
Subject: [efloraofindia:67447] project to rid of mosquitoes with a plant and
animal based design system
To: efloraofindia <indiantreepix@googlegroups.com>

My housing society in suburban Pune has taken up a project to get rid
of mosquitoes from our neighbourhood through natural means. We got a
lot of our ideas from this article:
http://permaculturetokyo.blogspot.com/2009/07/natures-mosquito-control.html
- which involves a design system involving plants and animals.

We had the following questions:
1. What is the Citronella macronata tree? The article mentions this is
a tree that can be planted as a hedge. Is it found in India?

2. The citronella compound has also been bred into the “lemon
geranium” which exudes the same scent (as Citronella Macronata) and is
used to repel mosquitoes at the herb layer. Is “lemon geranium” the
same as Citronella grass?

3. Is 'catnip' native? Where can we find it? Catnip extract (and so is
Rosemary extract) is a good mosquito repellent.

4. Bullrush and Cattail attract dragonfly that eat mosquitoes - what
are these and where can I find them?

5. The Chinese have been using Artemisia annua (a.k.a. sweet wormwood)
to cure fevers for centuries. Is this available?

And if someone can help with this: Are there places around Pune where
one could get mass quantities (and cheap) of lemon grass, citronella
(grass) and vetiver for planting?

Thank you very much
Regards
Siddartha

3.

J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)
The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a *thousand species* &
eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged
alphabetically & place-wise):
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them
for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.
please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members &
75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website:
https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of
around 5000 species)