Size of the fruiting body -upto 6cms, granite black color, tiny white spots -
iridescent.
I think the fruit bodies are  flask-shaped.

Abundance - 30 nos.
Dead stump picture taken from 9 meters distant.
Thick vegetation, darkness, slope/elevation & the leeches prevented us reaching
the tree. So no closeup picture.

It appears, these fungi closely relates to Dead Man's Fingers fungus or
the Candle-snuff Fungus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylaria

// In Bhagamandala, we colligated this black fungi to black leech sticks, very
well disguised in the darkness of the tree bark. Add to it the dark woods
behind. Imagine- we go close to the tree, the leech stick come alive &  rain on
us...

Thanks a lot for the Id help!

Regards

Raghu