A reply:
"M. crenata is not a native of India, but of Australia and the Philippines.
M. quadrifolia is also not a native of India (not even of Kashmir) but of
Europe.  This plant is surely going to be the common Indian native, M.
minuta, as also recorded by Dixit & Sinha in their "Pteridophytes of the
Andamans & Nicobars" (correctly!).  However, as anyone will tell you, the
floating plants are sterile, and Marsilea species cannot be identified in
the absence of sorocarps.  Sorocarps are produced when plants are on dry
land at the edges of ponds.
    Yes,  there are two other good species in India, M. aegyptiaca and M.
coromandelina - but then some dozen other "species" were described from
India which mostly appear to be more in the way of just forms of M. minuta
(but anyway, still need investigating further and re-assessed as to what
their status really is, some are definitely forms of minuta and not species
by more usual concepts of species).
    Cheers,
           Chris Fraser-Jenkins, Kathmandu."

Thanks, Dr. Chris Fraser-Jenkins.