This is really robust!!! Thanks Sid ji for sharing. Nice write up too! Regards
Vijayasankar Raman National Center for Natural Products Research University of Mississippi On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Sid <[email protected]> wrote: > Liana or tree? > > On a botanical trip around the foot hills of Kodikanal (near Madurai, > Tamilnadu) we came across the trunk of this huge liana. It looked like a > large coiled serpent slowly climbing into the canopy perching the branches > of other trees. Its huge trunk would have been at least a foot and a half > in diameter. Judging by the size of other individuals in that area and > general size of lianas, this one was amazing. My guess is that, this > liana-tree would be at least more than 200 years old. I was thrilled when I > thought of how many human generations would it have seen since it > germinated in that forest floor. How many important events in history would > have been recorded while this plant was an infant and entered youth. And > now she is still standing there healthy, proud, and as young as ever. I was > so lucky to have I met this old wise liana. She is a Gnetum ula. > > Sid. >

