You have shared the same problem as I had when I purchased the same macro
lens.
Initially I also thought that life is easy for macro photography with this
lens. It is not fully true.
1) Small Aperture(2.8 or 3.2 etc.) will keep only a part of the large
flower like anther in focus while the flower becomes blur.
2) If the aperture setting is high say 15 or more all parts of the flower
will be in focus including some surroundings but to get adequate light the
shutter will remain open for a longer time and one can't keep the hand
steady for that long and the end result is burred pictured if the camera is
hand held. To prevent this you need to use the flash(Accepting some of its
limitations)
OR
If light is bright and good say a sunny bright morning and actual sun rays
not falling on flowers. You can get good depth accepting Aperture of 5.6 or
4.5 getting a reasonable shutter speed to prevent hand shake(and flower
shake due to wind)
This macro lens is a telephoto lens and one has to go away from the object
to get it into the field of vision.
I hope I have shared what I do with same lens as you are using.
Tripod is not practical in most field visits though it may be ideal.
Satish Phadke

--
Dr Satish Phadke