Very nice picture!

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
National Center for Natural Products Research
University of Mississippi


On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Dr Pankaj Kumar <[email protected]>wrote:

> Wonderful beauty of nature. Nice colouration too.
> Thanks for sharing sir.
> Best regards
> Pankaj
>
>
> On Tuesday, 1 January 2013 01:29:41 UTC+8, Gurcharan Singh wrote:
>>
>> Presenting my flora picture of the Year 2012,* Iris japonica*, the
>> fringed iris or butterfly flower.
>>
>> I had known about several species of Iris being grown in Kashmir to
>> decorate graveyards and as ornamentals, and a few forming enormous meadows
>> both in the valley (Iris lactea, which for a long time was identified as
>> I.ensata) and alpine hills (I. hookeriana). These species were mostly
>> possesed by me in the form of dried speciments. I missed photograhing these
>> in previous years as they are early flowering plants, and I would miss
>> their flowering. This year I planned an early visit to Kashmir to catch
>> these and other similar flowers. Luckily I was able to catch almost all,
>> but my prized click was this species which I found in gardens for the first
>> time in Kashmir.
>>     Despite its scientific name, the plant is neither a native of Japan
>> (rather being a native of China), nor bearing the common name Japanese iris
>> (which belongs to Iris ensata).
>>       The plant is a rhizomatous perennial with sword-shaped leaves up to
>> 60 cm long, up to cm wide, without midvein; flowers pale blue to white, 4-6
>> cm across, with fringed falls spotted with purple and orange crusts, up to
>> 1.5 cm long spathe, up to 2.5 cm long pedicel and perianth tube shorter
>> than 1.5 cm, flowers are arranged on much branched stems.
>>     Photographed from Botanical Garden below Cheshma Shahi in Kashmir.
>>
>> The species has been widely cultivated in different parts of the world
>> and has been given 'Award of Garden Merit' by Royal Horticultural Society.
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
>> Retired  Associate Professor
>> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
>> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
>> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
>> http://www.gurcharanfamily.**com/ <http://www.gurcharanfamily.com/>
>> http://people.du.ac.in/~**singhg45/ <http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/>
>>
>  --
>
>
>
>

-- 



Reply via email to