FREE for JOIN Indonesia Daily News Online via EMAIL:
go to: http://www.indo-news.com/subscribe.html
- FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE -
Please Visit Our Sponsor
http://www.indo-news.com/cgi-bin/ads1

SUPANGKAT COLUMN:

    EAST TIMOR, ACEH, TO BE FOLLOWED BY OTHER PROVINCES?

The high turnout of about 80% of the voters in East Timor despite all kinds of
terror and intimidation,  is predictably to result in the victory of the
independence,
feared most by the Indonesian authorities.

Almost immediately, about 500 students in Aceh demanded referendum for "self-
determination" eventhough Aceh is de facto and de jure a legitimate Indonesian
province according to the doctrine of the inherited Netherlands Indie from the
Dutch.

This will encourage other provinces to demand the same thing, especially the
ethnically distinct ones such as Irian Jaya, the Molukkas, even the Malay
ethnic
like Bali because of its most viability for independence being the world's
tourist
heaven.
An Indonesian Minister onces insulted Megawati for being a Hindu and it almost
caused a rebellion in Bali inspiring the independence spirit from Indonesia.
Other provinces need a trigger to demand for independence or at least the
most wide autonomy promised East Timor before the balloting.

As an Indonesian from Java, surely I hope it won't happen because it will dis-
integrate our impire as the largest nation in Southeast Asia where we have
been
dubbed as "ASEAN Superpower".

But our hope, even our most vigorous attempt wouldn't stop the seed to grow
naturally since we had disseminated them unconsciously for centuries.

Globalization should help but the seeds are growing stronger.
AT least that is my feeling, and I could be dead wrong. I hope so.

New York, August 30, 1999.

Didistribusikan tgl. 30 Aug 1999 jam 16:23:15 GMT+1
oleh: Indonesia Daily News Online <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.Indo-News.com/

Kirim email ke