On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Erik Salter <esal...@bnivideo.com> wrote:
> Yes, collocation of all keys is a large concern of my application(s).
>
> Currently, I can handle keys I'm in control of (like database-generated
> keys), where I can play around with the hash code.   What I would love to do
> is collocate that data with keys I can't control (like UUIDs) so that all
> cache operations can be done in the same transaction on the data owner's node.

By playing around with the hash code do you mean you set the hashcode
for all the keys you want on a certain server to the same value? I
imagine that would degrade performance quite a bit, because we have
HashMaps everywhere and your keys will always end up in the same hash
bucket.

ISPN-312 seems to me like a much better fit for your use case than the
KeyAffinityService. Even if you added a listener to change your keys
when the topology changes, that would mean on a rehash the keys could
get moved to the new server and then back to the old server, whereas
with ISPN-312 they will either all stay on the old node or they will
all move to the new node.

Cheers
Dan