On Aug 4, 2011, at 1:01 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> 2011/8/4 Dan Berindei <dan.berin...@gmail.com>:
>> </snip>
>
> Are you proposing a temporary API to make things work before ISPN-658
> is solved? I don't like the Future approach, it's still unclear that I
> have to send all requests before blocking on any get.
> I'd make a
>
> void startCaches(String... names);
>
> which implicitly includes the default cache too, and you throw an
> exception if getCache() is used on an unstarted cache, and
> unfortunately you should also throw an exception if startCaches() is
> invoked more than once.

We talk about this option too as indicated in https://gist.github.com/1124740,
but I personally don't like it at this stage, since that'd be changing the
programming model. People are expecting start caches with getCache(). It's been
like that since 4.0 so what you're suggesting would be a bit change at this
stage (5.0.0.CR8) IMO. Your suggestion would be worth considering for 6.x.

> Cheers,
> Sanne

Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Engineer