Hi all,

As I've mentioned, I'm working on trying to integrate Hibernate 2LC (5.x branch
at the moment) with Infinispan 9.

To start with, I tried to see if I could just run Hibernate 2LC 5.x, compiled
with Infinispan 8, with an Infinispan 9 runtime. The first problem here was to
do with changes to PrioritizedMethodMetadata [1].

However, that above is the least of our problems... once I tried to compile
with Infinispan 9, there are a lot of compilation errors.

Here's a list of what I've found out so far, based on the work in [2] which
includes compilation errors and runtime issues I've discovered:

1. Plenty of interceptors have been moved from org.infinispan.interceptors.base
and org.infinispan.interceptors packages to org.infinispan.interceptors.impl
package.

2. ModuleCommandFactory.fromStream now passes a cache name in ByteString
instead of String.

3. DataWriteCommand.setMetadata() method is gone. The reason for this is that
FlagAffectedCommand does no longer extend MetadataAwareCommand.

4. Interceptors cannot invoke invokeNextInterceptor() any more in parent, the
method has been renamed to invokeNext() (in different class, AsyncInterceptor)

5. A lot of interceptors now take flags as long instead of Set<Flag> which
results in compilation error.

6. BaseRpcInterceptor subclasses are now force abstract protected method
getLog() to be implemented, again a compilation error.

7. CallInterceptor no longer contains visit... methods, so all interceptors
extending it need to extend CommandInterceptor and be placed just before
CallInterceptor.

7.1. As a result of that, interceptor positioning calls need to be changed.

8. AdvancedCache.filterEntries() is gone, so need to find an alternative way to
do the same.

9. WriteCommand.getAffectedKeys() returns Collection instead of Set now.

10. org.infinispan.filter.NullValueConverter is gone. I removed that as part of
marshalling changes since it was not used anywhere within Infinispan repo, but
Hibernate 2LC actually uses it.

11. BeginInvalidationCommand and EndInvalidationCommand write directly the
lockOwner via `output.writeObject(lockOwner)`, but this causes problem when the
lockOwner is a CommandInvocationId since there's no externalizer for it any
more. The reason for not having an externalizer is that CommandInvocationId is
written via static CommandInvocationId.writeTo() calls.

12. org.infinispan.commands.module.ExtendedModuleCommandFactory is gone.

13. ReplicableCommand.setParameters() method is gone.

14. BaseRpcCommand constructor takes a ByteString instead of String.

15. ReplicableCommand implementations need to implement writeTo() and
readFrom() methods.

16. (test) BlockingInterceptor no longer can be added via
AdvancedCache.addInterceptor() call because it does not extend
CommandInterceptor any more.

17. (test) org.infinispan.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashSet has been moved.

18. (test) TestingEntityCacheKey must be made extend ExternalPojo so that it
can be externally marshalled.

19. (test) 2lc-test-tcp.xml contains attributes that are no longer found by
JGroups 4.x and throws errors.

The question here is whether we should work towards making Infinispan 9
backwards compatible with Infinispan 8 as far as Hibernate 2LC integration is
concerned.

In theory, Infinispan 9 should be integrated with Hibernate 6.x onwards, but as
always, Wildfly might have different opinions... @Paul?

If we need to do something, the time to do it is now, before 9.Final.

Cheers,

p.s. A lot of tests still failing, so the work in [2] is nowhere near finished.

[1] https://gist.github.com/galderz/e26ea9d4838a965500906a6df87e064a
[2]
https://github.com/galderz/hibernate-orm/commit/5e36a021db4eaad75d835d321282eee6c62cc7c6
--