Forgot to answer the initial question: we do have integration tests
that use uber jars:

      <module>integrationtests/all-embedded-it</module>
      <module>integrationtests/all-embedded-query-it</module>
      <module>integrationtests/all-remote-it</module>

We don't have a Java 9 build in Jenkins ATM, but they ran fine with
jdk9-ea-164 on my machine.

Cheers
Dan