There's not much performance gain from segmenting the data. It will all
live on the filesystem organized by time first, and series second. As long
as your queries are bounded to particular times and series, the measurement
schema won't make too much difference.

However, DROP MEASUREMENT is more performant than DROP SERIES, so I would
think scoping each customer to a measurement (Schema #2) would be
beneficial for overall organization.

Schema #3 is not a great schema, as it puts important metadata in the
measurement name. Typically that's an anti-pattern. Additionally, there are
no JOINs across measurements, so you wouldn't be able to query for the
COUNT() of all events across a customer if each page ID meant a new
measurement.

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 11:05 PM, <r...@rmills.id.au> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm not quite sure which schema design would be better and hoping someone
> could help:
>
> (1)
> Measurement = PageViews
> Tags = OrganisationId=XYZ, PageId=123
> Values = BrowserAgent=Chrome, URL=test.com
>
> Measurement = Clicks
> Tags = OrganisationId=XYZ, PageId=123
> Values = BrowserAgent=Chrome, URL=test.com
>
> or
>
> (2)
> Measurement = XYZ (OrganisationID)
> Tags = PageId=123, Event=PageView
> Values = BrowserAgent=Chrome, URL=test.com
>
> Measurement = XYZ (OrganisationID)
> Tags = PageId=123, Event=Click
> Values = BrowserAgent=Chrome, URL=test.com
>
> or
>
> (3)
> Measurement = XYZ-123 (OrganisationId-PageId)
> Tags = Event=PageView
> Values = BrowserAgent=Chrome, URL=test.com
>
> Measurement = XYZ-123 (OrganisationId-PageId)
> Tags = Event=Click
> Values = BrowserAgent=Chrome, URL=test.com
>
> This would be a used in a multi-tenant environment where each customer
> (organisation) has their own data. Does the use of a orgid-pageid
> measurement help the underlying database?
>
> IE, with SQL having a table name as the OrgId-PageId would restrict the
> indexing storage/speed to just that of that scope, however I'm not sure it
> would be the same with InfluxDB as perhaps indexes are based on series
> (which includes measurement and tags).
>
> So then in theory it would be much of a muchness - no performance gain by
> segmenting data?
>
> Ryan
>
> --
> Remember to include the InfluxDB version number with all issue reports
> ---
> msgid/influxdb/0100a133-7b23-4d29-aa7a-33e2666991d7%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/influxdb/0100a133-7b23-4d29-aa7a-33e2666991d7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Sean Beckett
Director of Support and Professional Services
InfluxDB

--
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/influxdb/CALGqCvPuXvQ-oAchuZ1E_YBFqVN5MJVJjOfJZCbAAxvF4QD-Mw%40mail.gmail.com.