Hi Sean,

I can reproduce all the CPU issues, slowness, etc. if I try to import the
data that I have in milliseconds, specifying precision as milliseconds.

If I insert the same data without specifying any precision and query
without specifying any precision, the database is lightingly fast. The same
data.

The reason I was adding precision=ms is that I thought it was the right
thing to do. The manual advises that Influx sores the data in nanoseconds
but to use the lowest precision to insert. So at some stage I even used
hours, but inserted the data with precision=h. When Influx tried to convert
that data to nanoseconds, index, etc, then it was having a hissy fit.

Is it a bug or the manual should state that if you query the data at the
same precision as you insert, then you can go with the lowest precision and
do not specify what precision you are inserting?

Thanks,
Tanya

On 13 October 2016 at 10:26, Tanya Unterberger <tanya.unterber...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> The data is from 1838 to 2016, daily (sparse at times). We need to retain
> it, therefore the default policy.
>
> Thanks,
> Tanya
>
> On 13 October 2016 at 06:26, Sean Beckett <s...@influxdb.com> wrote:
>
>> Tanya, what range of time does your data cover? What are the retention
>> policies on the database?
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Tanya Unterberger <
>> tanya.unterber...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sean,
>>>
>>> 1. Initially I killed the process
>>> 2. At some point I restarted influxdb service
>>> 3. Error logs show no errors
>>> 4. I rebuilt the server, installed the latest rpm. Reimported the data
>>> via scripts. Data goes in, but the server is unusable. Looks like indexing
>>> might be stuffed. The size of the data in that database is 38M. Total size
>>> of /var/lib/influxdb/data/ 273M
>>> 5. CPU went beserk and doesn't come down
>>> 6. A query like select count(blah) to the measurement that was batch
>>> inserted (10k records at a time) is unusable and times out
>>> 7. I need to import around 15 million records. How should I throttle

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/influxdb/CAAHSRnCXfoK%2BeSQZUMg73SFgttoTpNVUQkzYHkSix0RuL%2BL7-Q%40mail.gmail.com.