After you tar you will install it with dpkg.
It will probably get started automatically at that point.
But if you want to start it/restart/stop just

sudo service influxd start (or restart or stop)

by default I believe the server will be available for http: requests on
port 8086

i would encourage you to also install something like grafana to pull data
from influxdb, but you can roll your own with http requests

to work with the database interactively, use the CLI (command line
interface)

just type

$ influx

here's a few commands to get you started

Influx> create database test1
Influx> insert cars,vin=3948579834 year=2015,color='Green',mileage=15
Influx> select * from cars

Good luck.

--
Remember to include the version number!