John,

I have been discussing this with Amos Gouaux and Larry Greenfield, and
I'm currently working on changes to CVS which will allow you to specify
an alternate config file (-C <alt_config) for the services and tools.
This should allow you to use one set of binaries and one cyrus.conf for
multiple setups.  I should have this done and checked into CVS by the
end of the week.  I hope to have Amos help document this, because he
seems to have more use for this than I do.

Ken

"John C. Amodeo" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Let me first start by extending my warmest thanks to everyone who has
> replied to my original message regarding Cyrus capabilities to partition
> into multiple independent mail servers.  After reading your suggestions,
> and giving some considerable thought to what would be in our best
> interest, we have decided to run Cyrus on multiple IP aliases.  This
> seems to be the most common work around for the the multiple domain
> problem.  The one major draw back to using this method is every time
> Cyrus is updated to a new version, multiple copies of the binary will
> need to be compiled all with different parameters (i.e. conf files
> directory, etc.)  If you have, lets say, 4 Cyrus servers per physical
> box, and 6 or so imap server, you can see what a nightmare this would be
> every time a new version comes out.
>
> One of my colleagues came up with a suggestion that consists of
> modifying the Cyrus code so we can pass variables to the binary when it
> is invoked.  For instance, instead of compiling Cyrus with
> /etc/imap.conf and /etc/cyus.conf hard coded in, we could modify the
> code to accept a variable or two when the master is invoked.  This way,
> we can have 1 binary on the server, but invoke 4 masters with different
> parameters (like location of imap.conf and cyrus.conf).  I guess this is
> the same concept as the "-s" switch to run imaps, and so on.
>
> Is this possible or am I totally getting out of control?  Has anyone
> done this or attempted to do this yet?
>
> When our system is up and functioning well, we plan to write some good
> documentation about ways to integrate Cyrus / Linux into a "business"
> environment that uses Novell and Windows for file sharing and
> application distribution.
>
> -John
> John C. Amodeo, Associate Director
> Information Technology and Computer Operations
> Faculty of Arts & Sciences, Rutgers University
> 732.932.9455-voice 732.932.0013-fax

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127