[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <3A9558FE.DEDAC78
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"John C. Amodeo" wrote:

> David,
>
> You have mentioned a very important point - "Cyrus lacks is a 'pretty interfac
e' for
> administration, as Exchange has."
>
> This is one of its best features - why?  Because it ensures only people with t
he
> skill and the know how are the system administrators.

John, I agree with you wholeheartedly.  Microsoft-style interfaces make
it really easy to get something done, even if the operator doesn't know
what they're doing.  This 'argument' just happens to be the one I have
with my boss most often - his feeling is that free software hasn't
caught on quicker due to lack of 'packaging'.  The average IT director,
he argues, will be turned off by the lack of GUI interface.

My argument is that free software is from a whole other universe, where
_all_ the rules are different.  Stuff that he thinks essential to the
success of free software really has no meaning in our universe, and
therefore no impact on whether free software succeeds or not.  There can
be no argument that free software is succeeding wildly; due in large
part no doubt to the increasingly large population of skilled system
administrators who started by running a mailserver in their dorm room.

In any case, I'm glad I'm able to show the existence of at least _one_
enlightened IT director.

regards,
        David

> To give you a little background about Rutgers, we have 48,000 registered stude
nts,
> about 6 campuses, 10,000 full-time employees and literally hundreds of servers
 - all
> a mix of Unix, Linux, Novell, NT, and Mac.  Currently there are no real standa
rds
> about what is allowed and what is not.  Every department makes up the rules as
 they
> go.  It has been my experience that NT remains the server OS of choice for tho
se who
> do not know any better.  The ones who do know better run the most stable syste
ms at
> the University (Unix, Linux, and Novell.)
>
> Exchange makes it too easy for any novice who knows Windows to "take a shot" a
nd set
> up a mail server.  It also makes it very easy for anyone (even non-system admi
ns) to
> try and fix the system when its broken.  And since there are no standards in p
lace
> about who is allowed to administer a server, and who is not, you have allot of

> department heads, who even though they are not computer people (mostly academi
> administrators), have the power to make his / her computer people give up the
admin
> passwords on the systems.  It makes them feel important when they also know wh
at the
> password is.  The problem here is that in an emergency, they generally figure
"Hey,
> why don't I just log in and fix the server."  You come back from a week's vaca
tion
> and find the server was hosed because someone thought they knew what they were

> doing...
>
> Command line interfaces are the best.  Its like an insurance policy that deter
> people who shouldn't be messing around with the system from doing just that.
At