I recreated your situation on my own system... but had no trouble...

cyradm -u cyrus localhost
Please enter your password: ********
IMAP Password: ********    (Why it asks for two passwords I don't
know... =] )
localhost> cm user1
user.chrispy    user.df    user1
localhost> sam user1 cyrus all
localhost> dm user1
localhost> lm
user.chrispy    user.df
localhost> exit

A suggestion would be to dump the mailboxes DB to a textfile, remove the
offending line, and then reconstruct the mailboxes DB.

Example:

su cyrus -c "/path/to/ctl_mboxlist -d >mbox.out"
vi mbox.out
>>>remove the line and write changes<<<
su cyrus -c "/path/to/ctl_mboxlist -u <mbox.out"
rm -Rf <$partition-default>/user1

Hope that helps... I'm not sure why your original attempts at setting
the ACL and removing the entry didn't work... hmmm...

-David Fuchs