Nick Simicich wrote:

> At 09:26 AM 9/28/2001 +0200, Tarjei Huse wrote:
> >In the "advanced" tag in OE, there are settings for setting ssl and ports for
> >the server.
>
> Please tell me if I am wrong, but my impression with OE is that it can't
> use startssl.  It can either make a connection to a TLS enabled socket or
> it will talk in the clear.  Is that true?

First, you're mixing terms.  STARTTLS, is a protocol command that is
used AFTER a connection (NOT including login) has been made in the
clear.  SSL usually refers to a SSL-wrapped protocol that is encrypted
from the start.

That being said, I believe that OE can do both for SMTP (it uses
STARTTLS on port 25 and SSL on any other port), and it only does SSL for
IMAP.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127