Michael Fair wrote:

> In an attempt to clean up my mail volume to my inbox,
> I wanted to start using subfolders to receive logs
> from the various machines I watch over.
>
> After so debugging voodoo I realized that:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> does not work and instead one is forced to use:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I believe this will pose a problem when I implement
> the heirarchy separator patch as the new email address
> is going to be
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> and / is not allowed in email addresses.

Unless I'm missing something, according to RFC[2]821 '/' IS allowed in
the localpart of an address.

> Now this may be specific to Exim (the MTA on the machine)
> but I wanted to ask on the list if other MTA's behaved
> similarly (especially Postfix since that is what I am
> moving to next).

IMO, this is an Exim limitation.  I tested subfolder delivery using
unixhiersep with endmail when I wrote the code, and it does work.  If
you have sieve scripts, you'll have to run translatesieve on them (I
don't think this tool was part of my last distro, but it is in CVS and
will be in v2.1 when released "real soon now").

> Further, does anyone have any bright ideas about how
> to go about implementing the ability to send directly
> to second level subfolders when using the heirarchy
> patch?

First, we need a second or third set of eyes to look at RFC[2]821 and
verify that '/' is allowed.  If it is allowed, I'd fix Exim or use a
different MTA.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127