Daniel Yu wrote:

> It's said so. However, here is what I discovered. Even I didn't enable
> login when I compile SASL library, I still could use --auth login for
> cyradm. Furthermore, it returns different result when I use --auth plain
> versus --auth login. Here is what I got.
>
> cyradm --user cyrus --auth plain localhost
> Password:
> IMAP Password:
> localhost>
>
> cyradm --user cyrus --auth login localhost
> IMAP Password:
> localhost>
>
> Both approaches work, but plain asks me the same password for one more
> time. I don't know the reason either.

In the first example, PLAIN auth is most likely failing because it isn't
advertised by the server unless protected by a security layer
(SSL/TLS).  It then falls back to trying the IMAP LOGIN command.

See my other post in this thread regarding the difference between the
AUTH=LOGIN and IMAP LOGIN.

Ken

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127