> Also, have any idea what is causing the following error?
>
>        unable to get entry point sasl_client_plug_init in
/usr/lib/sasl/libsasldb.so:
>       /usr/local/lib/libsasl.so.7: undefined symbol: sasl_client_plug_init

After further investigation, I discovered:

        1. Comment out all references to "pam_ldap.so" in "system-auth" and the
        error messages are not generated upon "login"

        2. The local LDAP server was not started, therefore "pam_ldap.so" had no
        server to authenticate against.

        3. Undue  steps in 1 and authentication works as expected.

Next, "imtest" successfully authenticates accounts known to "sasldb2",
however
"imtest" fails if an LDAP account is specified ->

        imapd[1063]: badlogin: localhost[127.0.0.1] DIGEST-MD5 [SASL(-13):
        user not found: no secret in database]

per the above "badlogin" message, this may be expected "imtest" behavior
but,
when authenticating via an email client the following is logged ->

        imapd[1063]: badlogin: mailsrv[x.x.x.] plaintext imapuser SASL(-1):
        generic failure: checkpass failed

The "imap" file in "/etc/pam.d" contains:

        #%PAM-1.0
        auth    sufficient      pam_ldap.so
        auth    required        pam_unix_auth.so
        account sufficient      pam_ldap.so
        account required        pam_unix_acct.so

and... the pwcheck method in "/etc/cyrus.conf" is:

        sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop

Question: is "the pam_ldap" authentication module deprecated as of SASL V2?

>From SASL Archive note: 1559, a patch to perform LDAP authentication via the
auxprop
plugin for SASL V2 is suggested. B4 I arbitrarily apply this patch, can
someone please
clarify or point me to the doc discussing auxprop, SASL V2 and LDAP?

RB