Shelley Waltz wrote:
Ken,
Thanks for the very clear instructions on how this works. One thing which does not make sense is the removal of the mech_list option subsequent to all users in the shadow file having auth'd once. ???

Because once the users are transitioned to the sql database, then you can use *any* of the available SASL mechs.

Also, why are the transitioned passwords stored in plaintext in the mysql
database?

The auxprop plugins are designed to *retrieve* the password rather than just *verify* the password. The plaintext password is needed to support SASL mechs like CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, NTLM.

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:

Shelley Waltz wrote:
> Ken, Thanks for the reply.
> > Yes, my new server is RH ES3 with all the most recent versions of
> Cyrus imap/sasl/postfix/mysql ...
Which version of SASL? You definitely want 2.1.17.
> Where do I read about autotransition into the SQL auxprop plugin?
> Does this mean that after I transition my existing users, I still
> need to create /etc/shadow entries in order to esatblish new accounts
> in thge mysql database. I planned to use webcyradm to manage accounts.
Just read the docs on how to configure the SQL auxprop plugin. Then in your imapd.conf file, you'll have options like the following:
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
sasl_auto_transition: yes
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop saslauthd
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sql
sasl_sql_engine: mysql
sasl_sql_select: ...
sasl_sql_insert: ...
sasl_sql_update: ...
And you'll need to run:
saslauthd -a shadow
This config will limit the server to plaintext authentication which will happen against /etc/shadow and then the password will be inserted into mysql. The next time the user authenticates, the password will be pulled from mysql (given the order of pwcheck_method).
Once all of your users have authenticated at least once, you can remove the mech_list option or add other mechs to the list.
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:
> > Shelley Waltz wrote:
> > > I am installing a new postfix-cyrus mail server.
> > I currently have cyrus-imap 1.6.24 authing PLAIN
> > from /etc/shadow.
> > a mysql database and use this to auth PLAIN using TLS.
> > Is there a script available to do so - to migrate the users
> > from the shadow file and create the records for mysql authentication?
> > First, I'd strongly suggest that you upgrade to a recent version of > Cyrus, either 2.1.16 or 2.2.3. To do this, you'll need a recent version > of SASL (I'd suggest 2.1.17). Then, you just configure Cyrus/SASL to > authentication plaintext from /etc/shadow and have it autotransition > passwords into the SQL auxprop plugin.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127