Rob Tanner wrote:

Ken,

Since I'm moving from ESYS to Cyrus, the index/cache files should be irrelevant as they use an entirely different naming convention and I fully expect to loose the flags in question. But I tried your suggestion anyway without success. And the problem is not consistent, only affecting maybe one third to one half of the mailbox folders.

Also, I can create a new directory under a user and add an empty cyrus.header file, and reconstruct -fxr will find the emty file and add it and not declare it to have any invalid format. I can empty out the directory claimed to have an invalid format and add an empty cyrus.header, and it still fails. Finally, at the unix level, and not with cyradm, I can rename the directory of a mailbox, say foo to foo2, create an empty foo so I don't get an I/O error, touch foo2/cyrus.header, run reconstruct -fx, and the box gets added to the mailboxes database without an error. Just creating the empty cyrus.header file in the old mailbox doesn't fix the problem.

I am convinced the problem is with the mailboxes database, but when I dump it to stdout, the entries for mailboxes that reconstruct okay and those that get an invalid format error look to be identical.

Actually every place that IMAP_MAILBOX_BADFORMAT is returned is in mailbox.c, so I don't think it is a mailboxes database problem.

Is there any way to debug what construct is doing and why it's making the decision it's making without having to be an expert on the code?

Are you getting any useful info in imapd.log? You could try strace'ing reconstruct or running it through a debugger.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus