Hi,

--On Freitag, 10. September 2004 16:27 Uhr +0200 Paul Dekkers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Right, works fine for us for the most part. Hasn't always been like
that, but the most recent kernel updates by Red Hat have improved
matters a lot.

What did the kernel improve?

memory management for the most part. With 8 GB of RAM and lots of it free there were previously situations where either the cache grew too large, causing the machine to become extremely slow, or where forks failed (even though there were oodles of free RAM). Both seem to have been resolved in 2.4.9-e.49enterprise.

You are not using a clustered filesystem,
right?

No.

Although many on the list claim that this (having 2 boxes with 1
disk-array) is a nice way for redundancy I'm in doubt now if this is
true.

It's good but not perfect. We recently installed a huge SAN and are now in the process of moving over the mail data to reside there. Fibrechannel seems to be much more error tolerant than SCSI.

Hmm, I don't expect the problems to be SCSI-related. Maybe it has to do with GEOM and SMP in FreeBSD 5.2.1, but not the SCSI-bus itself. (There are two seperate controllers for both machines, they never see each other on the same SCSI bus...)

That's not what I was talking about. We have a similar setup, yet still there were instances when Red Hat's cluster software failed to write to the shared storage. I guess this was caused by the slow-downs connected to the memory management, but Red Hat support indicated that shared storage connected via FibreChannel would not have been as susceptible to these problems.